Each photographer may enter as many images as they wish. There are 6 categories in which you can submit. You can enter all your images in the same category if you like but you cannot qualify as a finalist more than once per category.
Please read the file naming requirements below. When submitting you will be asked to read the rules and conditions, complete the entry form, sign the certification and agreement and make payment. If you belong to a supporting Photography Association, remember to enter your member ID. IT MUST BE ACTIVE AND WILL BE VERIFIED. And if you received an excellence or equivalent score in your association’s image competition you are eligible for a $20 discount code. Please reach out to your association contact or the Team Canada committee to request your code.
Once paid you will be directed to the online upload process where you can upload your images. To enter more than ten, you have to do this process more than once.
NOTE: The decision of the curators shall be final. WPC Team Canada Captain shall have the absolute and final authority to decide on any issue not specifically covered by these rules
Team Canada 2021 is complete.
Entries for 2022 will be accepted in July/August of 2021.
- Canadian Photographer Submissions: July / August
- Canadian Curating: September / October
- Team Canada entry sent to WPC: Early October
- World Photographic Cup International Judging: November / December
- Top 10 World Finalists and Best of Nations: January
- Medalists and WPC Awards Ceremony: March / April
Any Canadian photographer (professional or amateur) can submit images to this national call for entries. The maker must agree to the following conditions when submitting:
- Be the original author of all images in concept, image capture and presentation.
- Agree that the WPC and WPC Team Canada can use accepted images for promotional purposes. Copyright remains with the author of the images.
- Be a Canadian citizen holding a Canadian passport.
- Single (1) Image – $50 CDN plus tax
- Two (2) Images – $65 CDN plus tax
- Three (3) Images – $75 CDN plus tax
- Five (5) Images – $110 CDN plus tax BEST DEAL
- Additional Images – $20 CDN plus tax
Association Member Entry Fee
- Single (1) Image – $40 CDN plus tax
- Two (2) Images – $55 CDN plus tax
- Three (3) Images – $65 CDN plus tax
- Five (5) Images – $80 CDN plus tax BEST DEAL
- Additional Images – $15 CDN plus tax
If any of your images were judged in your associations Image Competition and received an excellence (or equivalent) please contact us here for a $20 discount coupon. ONLY ONE COUPON PER ENTRY.
List of recognized associations : PPOC, NPAC-APPC, CAPA, CAPIC.
Scoring will be based on four criteria, each of the 4 criteria will contribute a maximum of 25% of the total score
While digital enhancement is part of photography today and relevant, all submissions should demonstrate foundation photographic skills. Images with extensive post production (electronic/digital manipulation) are accepted so long as the photographic component is dominant. Judges are asked to recognize photography as the core contribution to all image categories. Post Production should be relevant for the image. Images with a simple yet powerful message may not rely on Creativity or Technical manipulation to be recognized as a top scoring image. Any post production must be done under the direction of the photographer (author) of the image.
The impact i the sense of emotion an image creates in you when you see it for the first time. How does the image effect you (laughter, sadness, anger or other strong emotions)? A key component is the relevance of the image to the category of submission. It is a strong Portrait that defines the category description, a fabulous Commercial image that again expresses the definition of the category. Impact is also defined by all the other criteria and commonly focuses on which category of score (Excellent, High Quality etc) a judge will look at when selecting the score category and the range there.
Is the visual language used compelling? Is the Photographic and/or Digital art medium used well to convey an idea, a message, a thought, or an impression, and recognizes the photographic relevance or contribution? Does the selected visual language (light, technique and enhancement) support the intent of the image and category or does it have a negative effect on the image?
Is the image technically strong? Is the lighting and posing (where applicable) done with excellence? Is the product (car, building etc.) showcased with excellence? Is the post production management done with excellence (color balance, sharpness, retouching and compositing where applicable)?
Is the composition strong – and possibly innovative? Does the composition support the story of the image? Does the composition support a center of interest in the image? Is a center of interested needed in the specific image? Has the photographer used design elements well? Proper composition holds the viewers’ attention to the image and emphasizes the message of the image. Good composition can please or disturb the eye depending on the intent of the image.
- Parameters: 4000 pixels on the longest side, 300 DPI
- Format: jpeg 8 or higher
- Embedded profile: sRGB or Adobe RGB 98
* Images outside of these parameters will be returned to the maker for correction. If they are not corrected by the end date, fees are forfeited.
- TEXT OR ANY OTHER ITEM THAT COULD IDENTIFY THE MAKER is NOT permitted on the image and as such will disqualify the image.
- Images previously accepted as part of a team Canada entry are not eligible.
- Copyright and sales rights remain with the author of the images.
- All entries will be handled with professional care; however, WPC Team Canada and/or our partner associations assume no responsibility for entries while in its custody or on exhibition.
- Team Canada Finalists agree to hold the World Photographic Cup, WPC Team Canada, it’s organizing committee, and partner associations harmless against all claims and liabilities arising out of the WPC’s consideration, display, or other non-commercial use of the image.
All images MUST have the following filename format:
- It is important that your images be listed in the correct category. Use the category name as listed below.
- Do not use any accents, commas, or other characters – even for French language.
- Image number is for your total entry regardless of category (if you enter 5 images they will be numbered from 01 to 05)
An example of a proper filename for two submitted images are :
- commercial : For Commercial
- illustration : For Illustration/Digital Art
- nature : For Nature (Landscape/Wildlife)
- portrait : For Portrait
- reportage : For Reportage/Photojournalism
- wedding : For Wedding